I have taken what seems to me to be excellent advice and edited myself out of this. What do you think? (Previous version in the post below this one.)
When was the last time you went to bed thinking “Well, I may not have everything done, but that was a good day, I enjoyed myself?” It is pretty simple: when I felt like that was
when I was engaged with my community. A lot of the fun in my life and a lot of the value and learning came from volunteering. I have worked full time or part time, but I have always made time to volunteer somewhere, somehow. And it has almost always paid me more than it cost me.
When my husband retired and we moved to Lanark Highlands, a wonderful woman called Marion Paul found out I could take meeting minutes and (it seems to me within a minute) I replaced her as the secretary of the Watson’s Corners Hall Committee. That helped me to find my place in the community. Rural living, for those of you newly here, is not like the city. I think you will always find your neighbours there for you if you need them. But the winter days can be long and cold and slow. The Watson’s Corners Hall Committee is charged with making a warm, safe space with kitchen and toilets available to the local community. While the hall belongs to the township, the community runs it. All done by people from the neighbourhood.
What is a rural community hall? It is a location, with roof, where almost anything can be done; a family reunion, a funeral, a meeting (with food), cards (with food), a walking group, art classes, fitness classes, yoga, a camera club. At Watson’s, the committee volunteers use the kitchen to put on several community meals every year to raise money to heat, clean and generally keep the hall going. All done by people from the neighbourhood.
For the hall to be run and used, the community needs to step up and be part of it. If we all pitch in, even if we only have a bit of time to spare, the hall is and remains a hub. A volunteer job could be a one-off for a few hours, or a small amount of time each month, didn’t matter. I was part of things; I was happy.
And so would you be. Watson’s will be calling an Annual General Meeting in February, 2027 but you don’t have to wait until then. Talk to people. Join.the volunteer pool, or even consider being part of the hall committee.
You won’t regret it. Thirty years later, neither do I.

No comments:
Post a Comment