Monday 29 March 2021

An Old School Blogging Meme.

 This  is a steal from The Department of Nance. It's an Old School Blogging meme, and it's easy fun. Here we go.

1.       What's something you're looking forward to doing once you get your vaccine or things open up after the pandemic is over?

Hugging my daughter and my granddaughter. I guess they will also have to have been jabbed and seasoned before this can happen.

I am amused by how we refer to the act of getting the vaccine. In North America we get ‘shot’. In the UK they get ‘jabbed’. That verb certainly has a different feel. I can’t help thinking about the doctor I had as a girl. He had delivered my mother and her sisters as a young doctor, and so he had been practicing at least 32 + 8 years when I remember going to him. And I think that as a young doctor he had purchased a set of hypodermic needles and, as happened in those days, he sterilized and reused them. When I was his patient, it is my firmly held belief that he was still using the same needles to give shots and that they had probably never been sharpened. Oh, ouch!

2.       What simple thing made you happy recently?

We have a robin. He is not happy, but he is here.

What was your favourite subject and worst subject in school?

English, of course. But I always took as much math as I could because I could get high marks in it and bring up my average. Worst? Um, your choice of physics or chemistry.

4.       Which of your blogposts is your favourite?

This one. It is heartfelt. Little Stuff’s Tea Party would be a close second, I guess. Little Stuff is now about to graduate from High School and attend a prestigious university on scholarship. Sigh.

5.       Coffee or Tea? Beer or Wine? Hard stuff?

Coffee. Lots. Black. Strong. If it is a hot summer day, beer. Cold. Very cold. Hard stuff. No. But JG and friend hold a Scotch and Stock Market evening from time to time and I like the way the Scotch smells. Oh, and it has to be single malt, just as a passing comment. 

6.       What movie, if you happen upon it while channel surfing, will you always stop and watch?

I do not channel surf. I do not know how to run JG’s complicated system. (Up to four remotes, given what he has selected.) If I could access the TV without help, probably TLOTR.

7.       When shoe shopping, what's your biggest problem?

Buying sandals with covered toes. I have the world’s ugliest toenails. They cannot be seen in public.

8.       Ice cream cone or cupcake?

It has to be a cupcake if both are available. An iced cupcake, thus not a dry one.  If not, I will take whatever you give me with sugar in it, except coffee.

9.       What have you learned about yourself during this pandemic?

It has been forcibly brought home to me that I am not as nice a person as I would like to be. The shutdown of my activities has left me restless and depressed. I lose my temper when I should not, lack the willpower to do the things I should be doing and am not supporting my friends and family to the extent that I could and should. It is all very well to say that we should be giving ourselves a break during this crisis, but there are limits. I think I have exceeded them.

10.   Does your family think you're the eccentric one?

No. Just a bit crazy.

That wraps it up. 

° yahoo.

6 comments:

  1. It was interesting getting you know you better, Mary. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to at least see and be around my grandkids more once I am jabbed. I will try to be sensible, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the photo of Sue with Danica in her arms. But, yes, I am going to have to moderate the hugs to the taste of the teenager. Things seem to be picking up speed, and so perhaps the kids will also get vaccination dates in the near future.

      Delete
  3. I hate feet in general, toes specifically, so I understand your sandal quest. It is mine as well.

    I find all cupcakes--which I assume are iced--to be dry. Like you, I've developed a sweet tooth these days, which I've read is an Aging Thing. Ugh.

    Don't give up on yourself re: Being A Nice Person. I think the pandemic has frayed all of us and made us view each other judgmentally. I think we'll feel better as it eases and our heightened sense of sustained stress eases as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing about the sweet tooth is the, sob, weight gain. JG keeps wanting brownies. If they are there, like Mount Everest, MUNCH.

    Oh Nance, I certainly hope so. A friend and I took the chance of a lunch date today and she is holding up better than I am, but still at a high stress level. Warm weather needs to get here so we can get outside. Even here, the mud must subside sometime.

    ReplyDelete