Wednesday 24 January 2024

About Snow

My daughters with their grandfather on the canal, circa early 1070's

 Winter is with us, full steam. We have just had a power flicker and the internet has been knocked out, we have no idea for how long, and we could lose the power entirely. Wind and blowing snow out there; the ED says it is worse in Ottawa. And they just got the canal opened for skating, in part, yesterday, courtesy of a week of deep cold. Now we are back to the just below to just above freezing temps and I hope they can keep flooding with some success. ED loves to skate and can access one end of the skateway from her office quite easily.

The grandkid on the canal
For those of you who are not local, I guess an explanation of the skateway might be in order. Our city has a canal that was dug through the small town of Ottawa over one hundred years ago. The canal was meant to be a link from the Great Lakes system via the Ottawa River to the St Lawrence system just this side of Montreal and thus create a passage into Canada that did not run directly beside the United States. Great Britain funded it. It was and is a marvel of engineering and, as it runs right through the middle of Ottawa, when it was drained for the winter, people skated on the ice formed on the remaining shallow water. Around about the 1970s somewhere, the City of Ottawa or the National Capital Commission (NCC) made bits of it smoother, this being done by men with shovels and hoses. It was wildly popular and the length of it grew until, now, it is billed as the longest man-made skateway in the world and stretches over, I think, nine kilometres from Carleton University at one end to the junction with the Ottawa River at the other.

I took our girls skating on it when they were in grade school, and Jim’s parents came up one winter to enjoy it as they were good skaters. The last year I was there myself was 2004. I know this because I was pushing baby Audrey in a stroller kind of thing. I had to hang onto the stroller as my balance was gone, so that was my last attempt. But both daughters and the grandkid have been on it many times. 

Putting the ice into condition for skating is now much more mechanized. The city uses trucks with ploughs on them to clear the snow and so the depth of ice has to be very good to be strong enough. Global Warming is getting to it; last year was warm enough that they never did get the thickness of ice they wanted and the skateway never opened. Sad. IMHO they should go back to the strong backs with shovels and worry less about depth of ice. The Canal ‘rink’ is a marvel when it is in use. At one point, when she was working next to the canal, the YD used to skate to work. You have to love that.

In fact, it is winter sport and recreation that make our climate possible to endure from November to April. Getting out into the bush, going to areas which, in summer, you could never reach, is satisfying in a way that nothing else I have ever done can match. A small cloud of chattering chickadees blows by you. There are tracks you recognise in the snow and others that are a complete mystery. The sun shadows make marvellous lattices on the snow, blue and grey blue where the snow in the sun is sparkling white. A trickle of open water remains in the stream bed, exposing moss so green it is almost black. You can trek into marshy land – I once found a cutting wedge sitting on a stump in the middle of nowhere. If the beaver ponds freeze without heavy snow, skating is wonderful. You can, with effort, climb in your snowshoes but walking on the level, where, in summer there is water, is almost without work. On skis, you fly.

Snow Shadows

The Beaver Pond, Clearing the Snow

More Shadows

The Stream

If there is one thing that sucks about old age, it is that it robs you of the abilities that enrich living. I can only go there in photos, now.



12 comments:

  1. I hear you. Our wetland has been terrible for walking. Well, snowshoeing. My arms are so sore from using the snowblower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a walk-behind blower for many years. It was my back that it killed. Strong arms, weak back. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I have walked on the canal once but not skated on it. My skating days are long over, and I was never very good at it anyway.

    You description of winter sporting is powerful. Thankfully, I have experienced the joy of walking through the forest on snowshoes. However, I have only skied downhill a little bit when I was a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC I was not wonderful either until I had to take it as a course at Queen's. All frosh had to take a Phys Ed course way back then, and I had a choice of skating or swimming. At 5:00 am, the girls' swimming was scheduled. Skating was at 10:00 am. I was never very good on skis. But I loved going out on them. If there was any steepness to the trail, I sat on my skis and slid.

      Delete
  3. I have read about the Rideau Canal (spelling?) on another blogger's post and was always amazed to see the number of people using it. It is unfortunate that it could not be used last year because of warmer temps. I enjoyed reading about your recollections of walking in the bush in all types of weather. The snow shadows were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The canal, and yes, Rideau, can be very busy on weekends and nice days. The monitors do not allow hockey, and there are some side places to train small kids. But, most kids who live in Ottawa are skating before they start school; lots of rinks in every neighbourhood. It is a shame if warm weather stops the rinks from being built. At the moment it is raining; not too useful. Yech.

      Delete
  4. Us Eastern Ontario folks have our own "style" of dealing with winter. I love it. My kidlets loved the canal the two winters we lived in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see my grandkid enjoying a candy on a stick. She was on skates when she was two, and pretty good the year after that. Her mother and her aunt wore hockey skates to keep their feet warmer out on the canal. I froze a toe once, using figure skates in really cold conditions. Stupid.

      Delete
  5. I understand the joy winter can be as I contemplate my ability to ride my bike ever again. Life gets smaller as we age though great memories help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be satisfied with what you have when you used to have much more, but I do try. If I think, I can still feel the sun on my face, and feel the wind. If I try.

      Delete
  6. For those who like Winter and don't mind Snow, it does sound satisfying and invigorating. Imagine skating to work!

    It's beyond annoying to have your own body betray you so viciously. I'm finding this out in smallish ways now, and I absolutely do not care for it one bit. Now I know what my grandmother meant when she said that in her mind, she was ready to go out and get a job and do exciting things, but her mean old body wouldn't allow it. She was 90 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your canal skateway reminds me of the Hans Brinker story. What a fun winter activity. I know my granddaughter has enjoyed outdoor skating somewhere in Chicago, but it's certainly not like your skateway.

    ReplyDelete