Sunday 18 February 2024

Seeing Red.

 There are a lot of colours that are described as “red”. Many of them have a descriptor in front, such as “fire engine red” or “blood red”. Others are descriptors of a different sort such as “burgundy” or “cherry”. “Scarlet” is red, as is “crimson”. As to what it is by definition, an on-line dictionary says it is “of a color at the end of the spectrum next to orange and opposite violet”.

I love red. Bright red. I love to wear it, to use it and admire it in sunsets and roses. I have two red jackets and a red sweater and I used to have, until I got too fat to wear it, a red down-filled winter coat. I have two red hanging lights in my kitchen. If I could grow anything that flowers, I would try for red, red roses.

So, all the colours of red.

Wickipedia says that “Varieties of the color red may differ in hue, chroma (also called saturation, intensity, or colorfulness) or lightness (or value, tone, or brightness), or in two or three of these qualities. Variations in value are also called tints and shades, a tint being a red or other hue mixed with white, a shade being mixed with black. A large selection of these various colors are [sic] shown below.”

Another source tells us that there are 99 varieties of red. I am not about to get into technicalities here. You can, if you have that kind of interest, find lots of information and colour charts and names of varieties here.  or here.

I have a post about ‘red’ that I wrote back when. It can be found here.  The little velvet wonder in the last photo (my grandkid posing for a Christmas card photo) in this post will be hitting her maturity birthday in a few months. She is a student at McGill and, amusingly enough, a Martlet. She is on a university sports team and the McGill identifier is a red bird, a martlet. I have a photo of this. Somewhere. Sigh.

My English as a Second Language students suffered when faced with homonyms. Red, the colour, and the past tense of the verb “to read”, are both pronounced ‘red’ although spelled ‘read’, the same as the present tense. Faces suffused with misery as I explained this, slowly, several times. The definition in my Oxford Reference Dictionary covers four inches of dense type, at eight point type or less. I have not had the courage to look in the big Webster, which has migrated downstairs, at any rate.

If you have read this far, I note that this is another rag bag, but this one filled with red rags. And, just to sweeten the mix, I will end here with a shot of my red-haired daughter in a red Stewart kilt.








12 comments:

  1. A very pleasant meditation on the meaning of red. Or should I say reds!? Visiting from Anvil cloud's blog. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red but don’t wear it much.

    Such an adorable photo of your little red head.

    Take care, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kilt came all the way from Scotland, a gift from an aunt of mine who was there on a visit. It lasted through both my girls and both of the daughters of a cousin. Or even two cousins, I vaguely remember. Some tough garment.
      The kid is also tough, although looking very sweet there.

      Delete
  3. As you might guess, I reddily approve of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I have knitted in red, but prefer light colours these days as it is easier to see what I am doing.

      Delete
  5. Before I saw AC's comment, I was thinking of his recent post in which he lamented not being able to find red without myriad variations. I suppose what you have written about the variations could also apply to every other color as well. Purple and red are my 2 favorite colors and the purple should be a deep "royal" purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth, AC's post started me on this one. I love all purples until they turn mauve and that turns me off.,

      Delete
  6. Nance said "Red has been my favourite colour forever. I love its boldness and its ability to stand out and make whatever it touches stand out. My kitchen is done in red, black, and white. I used to paint my once-long fingernails bright red.
    Thanks for a new word--martlet."
    Her comment is in this form because I deleted it by accident. Response: yes, I remember your description of your kitchen. My mother's was red, white and green. And as for the fingernails, hah. I just broke one. It ripped right off into the laundry and now every time I type a period, I also get a comma from the bandaid. Red, yes, but not polish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your adorable daughter is definitely all in red from head on down. I've always loved red too, though fuchsia is my favorite. Wow! That IS a lot of variations of red.

    ReplyDelete