Tuesday 9 April 2024

Books and Stuff

 

Photo Credit - KBIA | By Naomi M. Klein, Hana Yun

Still on my leash, but I am learning to work with it, as least a bit. I can make a meal and clean up after it, do laundry and have enough energy to get a bit of the work for the Hall done. But yesterday was, to say the least, annoying. Jim and I had dark glasses out and Jim cleaned up both of his welding helmets and we were all set to admire about 98% of the eclipse. We had a forecast of light cloud, and that is what was up there. So we could see the crescents and check on the progress. But just as we got as close to totality as we would get, one thick strand of cloud blocked off the view entirely. By the time the cloud had moved on, so had the moon. Well, at least it did not rain. We were a bit surprised that we did not lose the light. The almost total eclipse that we recall from 1967 lives in our memory as producing quite a dark period; we did not see that yesterday.

This afternoon the couple that is in charge of the hall at present came by and I gave them a lot of photos of past events and people that worked regularly in the kitchen. Some of them still do; they were younger then. And so, indeed, was I. We are gearing up to do an open house, in conjunction with the reopening of the Dalhousie Library, featuring some of the hall's history. The library is fascinating. Here is a link if it interests you,but the gist is that the first settlers here wanted books and a group of them set up a library, hitting people like Lord Dalhousie, a ‘landlord’ of sorts, to provide books. Some of those books are still there, almost two hundred years later. Since the paperbacks that I love and have read over and over are falling apart and yellowing as well, the sturdy nature of these old books is amazing to me.



I should, I suppose, get organized (We Must Get Organized is a mantra of sorts among some of my friends and me) and find out if some of the most fragile of my loved tomes are still in print. And if I can afford to buy them if they are. I have some newer paperbacks that I would like to replace in hardcover, but the thought of shelling out three figures plus change to get them is not a good one. Well, some morning when I am feeling strong, I will look.

Tomorrow I go and do my update to keep my driver’s licence current. When I get off here, I am going to clean my glasses. I also have to renew the licence, and since my birthday is a week away, I guess I had better get onto that as well. I am not driving until I get rid of the oxy – that agreement with my surgeon has left me with the licence. I guess he could have pulled it. I guess I am lucky, things taken overall. But I am tired of stepping on my oxygen tube, unwinding it, stretching it out and stepping on it again.

I just found and corrected a major grammar break. Before the bot did. Hah. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi AC. I tried to publish your comment and hit 'delete' by accident. And so, here it is. "You may have corrected the error, but then you wrote a sentence fragment. Oh, the horror! And there's mine right afterward, not to mention that I have begun this sentence with a conjunction. However, that rule is disputed by some. 😁😱🤔"
    I laughed. Yes, I knew it was a fragment. And I know the conjunction rule, too. The thing is, most of those rules were established for formal, written English. A similar more obvious difference exists between formal written Latin and so-called 'vulgar' Latin. When I am writing my blog I try to use a voice that is closer to spoken English than to the more formal style I tried for many years to enforce with a red pencil and scowls. Among other tools. We all speak in fragments. And I, alas, am more fragmented than most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you accidentally deleted my comment on your last post. It hasn't appeared. Oh well.

    I'm glad you're adjusting to Leashed Life and have resumed so many of your usual habits and activities. You sound very much like yourself, and that's good.

    As far as your grammar et al, I agree that we write on our blogs in a more conversational style. Those of us Who Know The Rules can break them stylistically and still write well.

    I do it all the time. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I did. I was working on the iPad on my lap, never a good thing to do on the first coffee. I am still leashed, yes, but life is too short to get hung up on it. Other than have it hang up about fifty places around the house where I try to go. JG has been making the bed, and doing other things where being leashed is not a Good Thing.
      I am only myself part of the time, I must confess. The rest of the time I am a sulky, whiny brat. And I do not like myself much.
      Among Those of Us, you still shine. In spite of not knowing that Arctic Air comes from the north.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine the frustration watching the eclipse and having the cloud pass over at the most inopportune time. It was clear sky here

    It sounds like you are doing better with the leash but I imagine you will be glad to be rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, am late in catching up on blog reading, Mary, and do not have as good a reason as yourself. being leashed as you put it can be quite a both as a friend of mine here in the mill apts has a similar encumbrance. She has extra long tubing and can get around the apt quite well, but still it's a nuisance she tells me.

    Thanks for sharing in a comment on my current post about your first camera. I also use my cell phone but recently bought a new digital, actually an older one that's still quite populart. It has a complicated menu so I will most likely be using the Auto feature for a while.

    I hope your recovery continues to go well and that you will eventually be unleashed as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatrice, I 'auto' a lot. In fact, I usually do an auto before I set anything, just as a reference. Might not be perfect, but the record is there.

      Delete