Wednesday 5 June 2024

Artistic Merit

 


I read an interesting essay this week about the effect of art on the human condition. The argument was that, from our very earliest beginnings, our precursor ancestors practiced and were affected by art. You can reference the cave paintings, of course, some of which are now believed to have been done by Neandertal man (or woman?), decorations identified as being on the bodies of very early protohumans buried with ceremony, decorated bone and stone found in the caves inhabited by the earliest of humans. Obviously, we have continued to do all three of those things, as well as make music and dance. The article posits that art has a measurable influence on our hormone flow and thus on our physical and mental well-being. ‘Art therapy’ is a universally employed remedy for many distressing illnesses. We are soothed or stirred by a song or instrumental music. (Bagpipes, anyone? A trumpet call? A lullaby?)

Those musical influences are obvious, for sure. I had to think more about what was put forward for the effect of visual art. The argument is that the various forms of it influence us to see things and think of things differently. Photography is easy. We can be moved by a strong image (think of the photo of the little boy drowned and cast up on shore) . Interpretive art is more obscure. But, once you have seen even a reproduction of a Group of Seven Canadian landscape, can you ever think of the Shield Country the same way? Thompson’s The Jack Pine, just as an example, has generated not only learned investigation but also driving and rail tours.  We endeavour to describe our world through visual art and, by doing so, influence and even change how we think of it and use it. Or, so goes the persuasive argument I read.

It is an interesting concept to play with. I was responsible for looking after a childless aunt. For her stipulated appearance in her open coffin, I arranged that she would be dressed in her favourite red suit and that her makeup was suitably bold. And, beyond decorating our bodies both in life and after death, if we have the time and money (and sometimes even when we don’t), we decorate, colour and curate where we live so that it looks and feels like a refuge or nesting place. I have watched family members struggle over decorating decisions and plead guilty to a few obsessions myself. And we are not alone. Have you noticed that Christmas decoration on many houses reaches far, far beyond a simple festive wreath? As for decorating what we use, anything can be a candidate. It is possible to see automobiles with antlers attached in December, and I would not be surprised to see them wearing bunny ears at Easter. Personal decoration? I have pierced ears, as do my daughters, in multiples. There is also, to my bemusement, the current rage to have a tattoo or two. Cro Magnon man would have approved.

Do we do these things because we are cognate, or are we cognate because we do them? It is certainly an amusing and fertile topic. Do you find yourself soothed and enriched by some form of art? And, if you do, which one? (AC, besides your amazing photography, of course.) I do not know enough about music to discuss it usefully, but I have loved and worked in the visual arts since I was a child.  I am amused to find that the practice has been so meritorious.



13 comments:

  1. Art absolutely influences my daily life. I listen to music every morning, read and sometimes write poetry, arrange vignettes in my home and even in my gardens. I was a storyteller and balladsinger for years, and the effect of my performances on listeners was the most satisfying and humbling part of performing. People relaxed, often felt inspired, and usually drifted into reminiscences as my stories and songs triggered some memory.
    As to why we "do" art, that is something that I have pondered frequently--especially when I see bodies squirming in dance. Why does music make us want to move? I have no explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have put dance in there. As well as singing - active music as opposed to listening. I think storytelling is probably the oldest and most universal human art. Around the campfire, eh?

      Delete
  2. I do my photography, but I am not much of an arty guy and likely not sensitive enough to really appreciate art like most other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have areas of appreciation. Not everyone is struck dumb in front of a magnificent painting. Not everyone produces beautifully crafted photographs, product of both care and skill. 'Arty' is overdone, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. I paint landscapes, so art is a tremendous influence on how I am feeling on any given day. I live very close to Grand Lake, where the Jack Pine was painted. There is a nice bench there where one can sit and reflect or be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trained in 'School of Seven' painting at the Doon School of Fine Arts. I can produce a bad type of that work any time. It is a struggle for me to see things any other way,but I try.

      Delete
  4. Some are born with a love of art in their souls but I think everyone relates to some form of it.

    Our eldest grandchild, at two, wanted to watch The Nutcracker ballet on her own. She told her grandfather that because he was talking to her about it as he watched it with her. Her creative expression through dance is obvious and is recognized every year by her teacher. Dance is in her soul.

    I love photography and I always ask my husband to take his camera on our outings. He always captures different things or the same thing differently than I do. One’s interest and perspective alters what the lens captures. For someone who is artistically challenged otherwise, photography is a wonderful outlet for the creative spirit.

    Life would be so boring without art in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bird photos are a recurring joy for me. And as I commented to another person, I should have had dance in there. A big gap. I think that the camera interprets in many ways just as valid as does the brush or the pen.

      Delete
  5. Interesting.
    I feel completely out of sorts when my environment is cluttered and askew. I need things to be ordered and serene, and to have a Feeling or Aura about them, which I achieve with design and art. I do the same thing when I'm in the car travelling. I choose specific music to feel a certain way (lately a lot of cello). I think we humans not only use Art to express ourselves, but to attain a desired mood or state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The YD spends a lot of time and money on getting her environment the way she needs it. A lot. At the moment her whole kitchen has been torn out and is being completely redone. Me, I live in a house that JG and I designed and built for ourselves.
      Alas that age and infirmity is preventing me from curating my surroundings it the way I used to do. I look out from the porch sadly at the remnants of my beautiful rock garden. However, the deer frequent it and that is a bonus, for sure.
      And the Chrismas wreath is stored in the Harry Potter cupboard until next December, not a day earlier.

      Delete
  6. I've always loved artwork, photography, and music. I used to paint when I was younger but no longer do it for some reason. I guess the muse has left me for now. This was a very interesting post and something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, as with a couple of other bloggers who commented, photography has always been an artistic release for myself. I am not creative as far as actual art in drawing, painting or similar artistic outlets. However, if writing is an art then that is another outlet I thoroughly enoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to add that we have decorated our past homes and now current apartment with interior and some exterior decorations, mainly for Christmas. We have a small shelf outside our apartment which I decorate seasonally as it's too much effort to change it up more often. The currenta summer theme of some seashells and a couple of small lighthouses will remain until replaced by scarecrows.

    ReplyDelete

One Month Later

 Well, so much for the not-very-well-laid plans. As of today, which is, almost I was corrected to note, the middle of August, I have not go...