Monday 1 February 2021

Mother Love

 

I can’t resist doing this, I really can’t. I do promise not to cross post this to Facebook though.

 I just watched a video of my highly-competent, very professional (at the top of her profession) daughter giving an impassioned speech about picking up litter and policing green spaces. The video also contained a clip of her picking up after a group of children, stuffing the litter into a plastic bag.

 I was impressed.

 And then I had a metal picture of what her room looked like when she was a teen-ager.

 I am still stifling peals of unholy mirth.

You know that saying about a prophet being without honour in their own country? Yeah.

6 comments:

  1. We knew them when.

    BTW I have vinegar on my chips. I don’ use ketchup on many things, but i do on some. For example: a cold roast beef sandwich should have ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good. I knew I could count on you to be a vinegar person. Meatloaf sandwiches need ketchup too.

      What my children are and do never ceases to amaze me. Yours too, I think.

      Delete
  2. I am almost daily amused and SMUG when I hear my thirty-something sons lament about partners and kids who are not tidy, are not rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, whose rooms are strewn with clothes, who leave dishes and cups about, who have Flat Surface Disease. THE CHICKENS HAVE COME HOME TO ROOST.

    I merely cluck in sympathy and crow in glee when I am able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good parenting badge for sure. Yes, and this was a crow.
      Our household has always held at least one person who was a neat freak and one who was not. Used to be two and two before the offspring sprang.

      Delete
  3. This is a delightful parenting story. My mother used to call this export behavior, the goodness children practice away from home, that they learned at home, though never from actually practicing it at home. You must feel so proud of your girl (and maybe just a teeny bit vindicated). Good work, mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet I am proud. Although when the offspring are teens, I think everyone is worried about how much of the civilizing actually worked.

      Delete