Wednesday 16 February 2022

Fifty nine

 


Fifty nine years ago today was a Saturday and JG and I got married. In the chapel of the university we were both attending, with friends and our parents witnessing. It had taken us a week to arrange, and my mother bought me the dress I am wearing and brought it with her. The hat is a loan from my cousin. The placement of my feet is, um, typical.

A week previous to this event, JG and I were sitting in his apartment on a Sunday morning and I said to him "For two cents I would call my parents and tell them we are getting married next weekend." He handed me two pennies. 

And the rest is history.

Just as a footnote. Our eldest child was born a little over three years after the wedding. JG's mother was happy about that. Probably my mother was, also, but she didn't say so.

7 comments:

  1. So young! Kids really! Great photo and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 23 and just shy of 21. Yeah. But I am sure you know that at that age you think you are fully grown up and equal to anything.

      Delete
  2. Now I understand that FB post.
    Congratulations.
    Imagine being married to a strict and proper English teacher for almost 6 decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. What a wonderful photo. Happy Anniversary to you, dear friend. At that age (and we were 22 when we married), we were plenty grown up, I think. I know we were more grown up than our own kids at the same age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a different world. The grandkid talks on the phone to her parents just about every day from Montreal to Ottawa. I wrote letters once a week from Kingston to Windsor and called, as I remember, once between September and December.

      Delete
  4. We were married February 16 1963! I'm now widowed:-|, though. Must have been a good day.

    ReplyDelete