Monday 26 September 2022

That Book Meme


 


Author You’ve Read the Most Books From: C.J. Cherryh. She keeps writing them. I keep reading them.

Best Sequel: L. M. Montgomery’s Rilla of Ingleside. Yeah, I know. But it is a cut above a lot of the potboilers.

Currently Rereading: Ann McCaffrey Dragon Riders of Pern

Drink Choice While Reading: coffee

E reader or physical book: both. I love physical books and have shelves full of them, but when I want a book right away, I get on the internet and download it to my Kindle

Fictional character you probably would have dated in high school: Not much choice here – I am trying to think of a character who would have been interested in a tall, not very pretty girl with Really Good Marks. A fatal combo, eh?

Hidden Gem: Elizabeth Moon’s Remnant Population

Important Moment in Your Reading Life: When I persuaded our school’s librarian to let me take out books above my grade level.

Just Finished: Kushner’s book about his White House years. It was interesting and did not deserve, in my opinion, the panning it got in the reviews.

Kind of Books I Won’t Read: Languishing Love Stories

Longest Book You’ve Read: Good Question. I have no idea.

Major Book Hangover Because Of: The Steerswoman series. The [censored] author will not finish the series. She’s four books in and talking about another two.

Number of Cases You Own: nine

One Book You’ve Read Multiple Times: Jane Austen’s Persuasion. But I reread a lot of my books.

Preferred Place to Read: On my screened porch.

Quote That Inspires You, or Gives You All the Feels, From a Book You’ve Read: “He [Bilbo] used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.”

Reading Regret: So many books, so little time.

Series You Started and Need to Finish: The Steerswoman, as above.

Three of Your All Time Favorite Books: The Lord of the Rings, J, R. Tolkien, A Civil Contract, Georgette Heyer, Dorothy Dunnett, The Game of Kings. (and sequels)

Unapologetic Fanperson For: Jane Austen, in spite of my book club.

Worst Bookish Habit: Breaking the spines

X Marks the Spot—start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book: Left case is non-fiction, The Dance of Anger, Harriet Goldhor Lerner, Ph.D.

Your Latest Book PurchaseA Dangerous Inheritance: A Novel of Tudor Rivals and the Secret of the Tower Weir, Alison

Zzz-Snatcher Book (the last book that kept you up late): I go to sleep and the book falls out of my hand. That is what happens when you are my age (old!). Happens at all times of the day. The only thing that keeps me up late is the computer. If I go to sleep, my face hits the keyboard.

3 comments:

  1. Just read (Kristen’s to) The Ink Dark Heart by Galbraith who is Rowling. It was a long one — 30 hours. I like audio books, this one included, but it had sections of Twitter dialogue and also chat rooms. Those didn’t lend themselves to the audio format very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter reads those and likes them. I got turned off half way through the magic books and quit reading her. I have never used audio books - I must try one out. But I would probably go to sleep even faster. And the book would not be open to the last page on my lap.
      I can see where stuff in italics, for instance, to show a different narrative structure, would not work in audio.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, the Kushner book? Did you read the NYT review of it? It was delicious.

    Here's an excerpt: "Reading this book reminded me of watching a cat lick a dog’s eye goo.

    The tone is college admissions essay. Typical sentence: “In an environment of maximum pressure, I learned to ignore the noise and distractions and instead to push for results that would improve lives.”

    Every political cliché gets a fresh shampooing. “Even in a starkly divided country, there are always opportunities to build bridges,” Kushner writes. And, quoting the former White House deputy chief of staff Chris Liddell: “Every day here is sand through an hourglass, and we have to make it count.” So true, for these are the days of our lives."

    I hope you took into huge consideration its author and what he is.

    ReplyDelete