Wednesday 27 March 2024

Ears at the Ready

I haven’t reported in for a while; I haven’t, in truth, had much of anything positive to report. I staggered into the hospital last Tuesday, coffeeless. Although my anesthetist had allowed that I could have a black coffee, none was available since my check-in time was six in the morning. Nothing in the hospital was open and we were in a motel next to the hospital with no coffee-making apparatus in the room. If I ever have to do something similar again, I am going to remember my thermos. The operation was, as they say, a success. I came out with four small holes and a drain, in good time. And minus the tumour and some lymph nodes. Then the fun started.

To recover from surgery that removes part of a lung, the patient is required to cough up the residue of the surgery remaining in the lung. This is, I am sure, more than you want to know. It is certainly more than I wanted to know, as I have a poor cough reflex. Accordingly, a large and muscular respiratory therapist pummelled, jerked and exhorted. It was a grim couple of days, especially since the hospital food service supplies tea and coffee on alternate days. Luckily for me, my ward mate hates coffee as much as I hate tea and so we were able to exchange cups, quietly.

I recovered quickly, as I do, and have been home for a week or so. What is a bummer is that I have been adjudged to be getting insufficient oxygen into my system and so I was sent home ‘on oxygen’. This means that there is a pump in the basement thumping away condensing the air that is supplied to me via a plastic hose and a nose-piece. You know how we tether dogs to a running leash so they can get around the yard? Well, Mary is on a leash. If I walk around the house, I trail tubing behind me for the family to trip on. If I leave home, I do so accompanied by a small pump that I can carry that hisses and thumps extra oxy into me. Next week we go back for the post-op assessment, and I am really, really hoping to be unleashed.

The tough bit is no cigarettes. I hope that no one reading this has an addiction and will therefore not understand that statement, will shake their head and think that no cigarettes is A Good Thing. Maybe. But it, like the coughing, is not fun. And unlike the coughing, it does not improve.

However, the snow has disappeared, all but a few lumps where the plow left it. And my YD is home for two whole weeks, has been here looking after her decrepit mom and cooking, laundering and amusing her parents. She is taking this opportunity to plan some renovations to her house before resuming living there; a new kitchen and a bathroom re-do, in fact. The choice of countertop materials is, as far as I can tell, endless. As I recall, when choosing finishes for our kitchen, I went to one location and held down the budget. The YD has a large budget and a lot of places to go and graphite to see. As well as graphing out where she wants the cupboards. All this has been most interesting, as those of you who have done renos will know.

The ED is also in renovation mode. In fact, their home is undergoing upgrades to all three of the bathrooms. In series, I am assured, so that there is one working shower and toilet somewhere in the house. All is not going smoothly, however. The construction crew has a truck with a trailer. Yesterday the ED and partner were informed that a film crew is in the neighbourhood and all on-street parking is banned for the next, I think, three weeks. This means that the ED will probably have to take their car to work and park, expensively. How partner will be able to get around I did not enquire.

I did get the chocolate bunnies purchased at Village Treats before I got tethered, so Easter is allowed to arrive. There is something about biting the ears off a chocolate bunny that is like no other treat.

10 comments:

  1. Well Mary, I hope the coming nice weather helps you get your yaya back. My mother had a 100 foot tube put on her oxygen thing so she could wander next door to visit her friend Evie, also on oxygen. They would take their canula off and hang them on a bush then share a clandestine ciggie on the othet side of the hedge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your mother. I hope she enjoyed a fine and unusual life. Ya, I am not bad. Just, mainly, grumpy.

      Delete
  2. One of my good friends started smoking when she was sixteen and smoked until a hospital stay last year. She was 81. It’s been tough for her too. I cannot even imagine how hard it was and still is as she reports.

    I hope you feel better and stronger every day! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy. I do not get it at home. I am improving, as is the weather and all. And I do look forward to seeing your bird photos. I love bird photos, but do it very badly.

      Delete
  3. You kept the nature of your affliction under wraps, at least from my dim view, but that was quite a procedure. I feel for you and hope that you get untethered shortly. We're into some decent weather again, and I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i mentioned it in the post labelled’Junkets, but only in passing. i have been lucky, I guess, in that the tumor was found early,and was operable. i am determined it will not take over my interest in my life and living it

      Delete
  4. I am so glad for this update. You have been in my thoughts, and I was hoping that No News Was Good News.

    You do have my sympathy for trying at this late stage to Kick The Habit. Giving up cigarettes is beastly hard; not only is there an addiction factor, but it's a habit that carries with it pleasure, anxiety relief, a note of relaxation, and a host of other associations. I do hope you stick to the task, dear friend.

    Happy Easter and enjoy your chocolate bunnies. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I am eyeing the ears already. Have them stashed in here, but, luckily, they come wrapped, so are safe until Sunday.
      I do not know if I can quit permanently, but I am not combining smoking with an oxygen canula. At count, I have been a smoker, leaving out attempts to quit, some of which have lasted several months, since age fifteen. Old dog, new tricks.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this update, Mary, and like AC, I also missed the previous post about the upcoming procedure. I hope that your recovery continues to progress and that you will in time be able to be untethered. I have never been a smoker, although can understand from others who are addicted that it is difficult to go without for any prolonged time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it. So is my family, who are, in the main, very helpful. And, yeah, not much helps with the addiction thing. Ah well.

      Delete