Wednesday 8 May 2024

Noxy and I

 

At the feeders, 2011

Spring is springing and all of my photographer acquaintances are madly shooting. The only more frenetic activity is that of the birds who are nesting, involving much singing, building, and, of course, fertilizing.  The photo above is from 2011 and shows, from left to right, a rose-breasted grosbeak, purple finches and, on the silo, goldfinches. We have a few each of these this year, but the numbers are down and there have been almost no nuthatches, although we usually see quite a few. Although we do seem to be seeing fewer birds and fewer species, I live in hope and have, today, put out the hummingbird feeder.

What has been the most fun is watching the turkeys that are regulars to our field and the feeding station. Where there has been over the last while a fairly respectable group of hens (the hens go and find a male when they want one), there was, yesterday, only one hen and two toms. The hen and the older, bigger tom were pecking along, as they do, calmly searching for bugs/seeds (whatever they do look for). The smaller tom was displaying and doing a thing we have never seen before, circling around and around the quite oblivious hen that seemed interested only in a nice snack. Tom kept this up for quite some time, dancing and following the hen as she strolled. The other bird was grazing in quite a different direction, paying no attention. It really deserved an action shot, but that doesn’t work through the window.

I have had a day. Medical appointments seem to be raining down like a hailstorm. After a Zoom appointment with the sleep apnea clinic, I now have an overnight assessment at the clinic, followed by more Zoom for analysis and, oh yes, he wants bloodwork. Meanwhile my own doctor wants an ultrasound of my heart, goodness knows why, and I had two separate booking people looking for me, both, of course, on voicemail and voicemail was all I could get when I tried to return one or both. Plus, the voicemail on the second booking call gave a canned recital of about four different extensions on the two phone numbers, all of which I had to hear before I could leave my message. That finally got settled this afternoon. It is,I think, a universal and plaintive whine of old folks like me that there used to be people on the other end of a telephone call.

Got an analysis yesterday for the oxygen levels in my blood and it looks like the rest of May and June will feature MPG still on a leash. Ah well. It is blackfly season and being indoors, as long as I have my screened haven, is not so bad. My portable oxygen generator and I are going to town tomorrow for a haircut. I have decided that this machine needs a name and am considering Noxy, short for noxious oxy machine. Not that I am ungrateful. If you look up things like hypoxemia, it seems that having a stream of extra-oxygenated air blowing into your nose is the lesser of quite evil evils. However.  I am, I have been reliably informed, a stubborn person and I am being quite stubborn about aiming to bid Noxy a fond goodbye as soon as ever I can.


8 comments:

  1. I can't take a bird photo to save my soul. We need to get our screen shelter set up asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try, but mostly the photos do not work out the way I wanted them to. And, my screen porch is built right into the house - two outside walls of the house and two walls of screens. The screens are sheets of screening, stapled to the uprights of the porch. It faces east and south, but gets western sun on a slant spring and fall. I love it, I live in it and for it, even in blizzard conditions sometimes. We have thought of a screen shelter as well, and I even have a location picked out but, of course, it will wait till next year. (Yeah, right.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you seem to me keeping in a good frame of mind despite you less than optimal situation. Enjoy your porch, and I hope the hummers come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC, I do try. There are down times for sure, but it could be a lot worse. I have my own teeth and can make my own decisions. Not sure about the hummers, but there is blossom on the wild cherries and hawthorns so there is food to bring them this far.

      Delete
  4. Yes, blackfly season!
    The birding season makes me so happy!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm working at it. And yes, the birds are a continuing delight this time of year. I may have a mockingbird. But it will take a foray in the bug shirt to be sure.

      Delete
  5. What a terrible lot of medical appointments. You have quite a staff keeping care of you. I know it's tiresome, but better that than neglect.

    Thank goodness your oxygen is portable and affords you mobility. Can you imagine if it were one of those horrid huge tanks on wheels? Ugh. Hang in there. Your health is The Thing. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the tanks, too, in case of a power failure as the portable only has six or so hours on a charge. I am hanging in, Nance, sometimes by my fingernails, but trying. Mostly. And trying hard not to lie to myself about what I have to do and what I have to avoid. Yeah.

      Delete

On a High

Many years ago now, when I was young(er) and strong and agile, I took a solo trip to England. It was early summer, and I had spent the fall ...