Wednesday 26 February 2020

Voiced




The snow is falling outside my office window with conviction. Forecast is a two-day snow blitz that is supposed to leave us with up to 30 cm of nice, new white stuff. (That is just short of 12 inches, American friends). Having received, with some scepticism, this news, I decided to make a run to my shopping town and stock up on groceries, fill a prescription that is due to run out at the end of the week, and generally Get Prepared. After all, Environment Canada is going to be right sooner or later.

I also badly need my untidy mop of hair dealt with.

All this is leading up to the reason for this post.

I phoned the pharmacy and said, as I recall, ‘I would like to get a prescription refill.’  The pharmacist responded by saying that she would pull my file and called me by name as she did so. ‘How did you know who it was?’ said I, in some surprise. ‘I know your voice,’ she responded. Later I phoned the hairdresser to make an appointment. ‘Fine, Mary, I have you booked,’ said the woman on the phone. ‘How did you know who it was?’ I said, rather weakly, I am afraid. ‘You have a very distinctive voice,’ said she.

Yipe.

I guess I had better never try to make an anonymous phone call, hmm?

And, no, I am not going to record anything and put it in here. I may want to call you after all, and surprise you.

3 comments:

  1. It is probably a perk (or unperk) of living in a rural/small town region. You'd better be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you speak in a very correct manner--very cultured and well. Much the way you write. That can often set you apart from lots of callers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure about the cultured ... I've been hanging out in 'Gidday, I'm from the Valley' for many years. But I have always had stares and eye rollings because of using 'big' words. And I have been accused of swallowing a dictionary. I think, though, that it is the timbre of my voice that people clue into.
      Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

      Delete