Friday 30 December 2022

Life in the Confused Lane

 

The ‘template’ I open in Word to write posts gives me the Calibri font at 11 points. I do not like it. And so I usually type two letters, wipe them and change to Times New Roman at 12 points, a look that I like, at a guess, because it is so familiar. I think of it as easier to read, but, in fact, I am not sure that is accurate. I just like it. (Having just typed and formatted this, I am now wondering how Blogger will display it.) Edited to add that Blogger did not display it at all, and I have reformatted inside the posting page as well as I can. Blogger does not offer Calibri, I find, and I defaulted to Arial to show the difference. It did not work well, sadly.

 The way this blog looks is important to me, to an extent. I will change my header away from a Christmas theme over the next few days, providing I find time to do it. I did get the laundry mostly under control today, and so there may be time. But I need to get the English tutors up and running too, and that means a lot of time on the phone. Next week is my crazy week, the first of the month, because I have a discussion group that meets on the first Monday and a Book Club that meets on the first Thursday. Add the lessons I am teaching and at least one other meeting, and I am going to be going from home to Perth and back like a yoyo next week.

Meanwhile I am plotting to force one of my students out of charming and lazy mode and into real learning, move another one up a level whether it is a priority or not (time is ticking) and catch up on the two that I am confident have good tutors and are doing okay. But I need to check. And the time thing is real. Our group is committed to supporting these families for a year and we are already a third of the way through it. I do so want, while it is available for them to learn without cost, good English fluency. It may not be entirely possible, but I want to give it my best try. They are lovely young people and deserve our help.

 Also meanwhile, the YD is back in Brussels and as of today, so is her stuff. Or, most of it at least. We have been receiving an hilarious series of Whatsapp comments as the shipment arrived at her house and was unpacked. There is one big item that did not make it, and her North American small appliances did arrive, all useless without a translator of the power supply (I can’t remember what that is called). The last post she made was from a hardware store where she described herself as trying to explain in French what gismo she needed to put her table together, without knowing the name of said gismo, and then realized she had brought one with her to show. I trust she is now asleep in her own bed and bedding, cats purring and a weekend of organizing it all in store.

 When I think that all I have to organize is the laundry, my blog header and my English tutors, I realize that I am blessed. Plus, it is above freezing here and the laneway ice is melting. Um, having said that, I realize that I have all the Christmas stuff in the house to take down, pack up and store. Never mind the Christmas header for the blog. It will have to line up behind figuring out how to make my student stop telling me that we will meet ‘on the library’, getting the tree needles out of the stairwell and deciding what of my Christmas décor to keep and what to give away. I promise myself every year that I will do this last chore, and last year I actually did reduce the storage boxes by one. Maybe this is the year I can reduce by a second one. Stay tuned for the next exiting episode of Life with Me.

5 comments:

  1. I was basking in 60+ degrees yesterday! I even aired out the entire house. Talk about blessed.

    You are incredibly busy and you put me and my sloth to shame. I will say that my Christmas has been put away since the 27th now, and I am happy for it. Dare I wish that you also mean your outdoor decor will be gone as well? You know how happy that will make me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoor decor will be removed as soon as I can navigate the laneway to get the bow off the mailbox. At present it is solid ice, but the ice is melting. The ED offered to help take down the tree tomorrow; I am seriously considering taking her up on it, New Year's Day or no, as next week seems to be solid meetings.
      Yes, but busy is good.

      Delete
  2. I went to a vanilla template many years ago, so I never bother to change it. In the early days, it was more colourful and did get changed periodically.

    Happy New Year up there in the hinterland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you in your shopping hub of a town. The thing is, you put up wonderful photos all the times, so who cares!
      We have fog. it was so thick that JG thought a deer was a rock .

      Delete
  3. We are putting away Christmas tomorrow. Sad but true!

    ReplyDelete