Friday 26 April 2024

On the Trails Again

 I got out into the bush this afternoon. JG loaded me and my portable oxygen into the Kubota (yes, I will explain that) and we growled off up to what I think of as the back hundred. Our property is sort of in the form of a fat L, with our house right at the point of it. A lot of the most interesting stuff is in the upright part of the L – the beaver ponds, the sugar bush, some of the best bush. And so we mostly go that way. The ‘back’ part has rougher trails and fewer of them. We have cut a good lot of firewood off this part and had it logged once, but we visit it less often. When we skied, we had a loop that took us down the middle of the bush, out onto the beaver pond and back through this part, but in summer unless we are cutting firewood, it gets visited less.

Anyway, that is where we went this afternoon in glorious sunshine with not a bug to be seen. It is still very early spring here but there were tiny hepatica in many places

and I spotted one or two dog-toothed yellow violets and some Dutchman’s breeches in bud. The trillium leaves are just unfolding; when the trillium flowers are fully in bloom, the black flies are also here in numbers I shudder to think of. But, today, we zoomed along unbothered by anything biting.

What is less wonderful is that these less travelled trails have a lot of brush down on them from winter breakdown and the high winds we have had lately. Our ED clears trails as she walks, and she loves her walks, but she is almost always on the upright section, so there was quite a bit of brush down. JG has a dear little battery-powered chainsaw and he got out of the Kubota from time to time and chopped branches out of our way. 



Here is a ‘before’ shot of the trail and a second photo of the man and his instrument clearing it away.

The hepatica are tiny. They hide, almost, from a casual eye. But if you look carefully, they are there in number, pale-pinkly petalled and perfect, a harbinger of glories to come. 



And there are buds on almost everything, the red maples are flowering and the birds are singing their hearts out morning and evening. I heard a really unusual song late this afternoon after we got home, and am a bit frustrated trying to locate a bird with a call that sounds that way. I suspect a northern mockingbird is trying out its repertoire, sometimes, when I hear something brand new.

As for the getting off the leash, not anytime soon, as far as I can tell. And my GP is now back to worrying away at a sleep apnea diagnosis that, if accurate, will add yet another layer of misery. It is hard, a lot of the time, to be motivated to do the work that I know is what is needed. However, once bug season is upon us, what better occupation indoors can I have than an exercise program? Um. Don’t answer that.

Here is a picture of a little Kubota utility a lot like ours.


Diesel engine, noisy, but it will go almost anywhere and not get stuck. (Much – I have stories!) And JG can store all his trail clearing tools in the back, along with my oxygen pump.

12 comments:

  1. Your little Kubota is so cute and looks like a lot of fun. Happy spring, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And to you. Yes, the Kubota is a great little thing to have. Except when JG attempts to drive it where no vehicle should ever go. The machine is small but amazingly heavy to have to lever out of deep mud.

      Delete
  2. As I said in the other place, it must have been a treat to get out like that. Temperature are rising nicely, and, hopefully, the forecasted rain won't be overbearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is now Saturday morning and the good weather is still holding. And we have turkeys conducting their love life on our lawn.Tsk.

      Delete
  3. It is a perfect time of year to be out and about prior to black fly season. I am glad you were out there enjoying the property and the experience. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, when you go out and about we get wonderful bird photos and water vistas and I love all of it. My visit to PEI is a highlight of a long and well-travelled life. Not in your league, but our woodland is a fine place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hepatica! Thank you. I saw them in the bush today too. And little purple violets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, also violets. I have some semi-domesticated ones that I lifted from my mother's back yard. She loved them. They are now flourishing here, in the rough beside the mowed lawn and even on the mowed part. Lovely scent.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you loved being out and about on your property, enjoying some sunshine and Nature (minus the bugs). Your little Kubota is a nice conveyance, although I'm sure it can be a bumpy ride when you're out there in the bush. How about a seatbelt? Or does JG simply fling an arm across when he notices you bouncing a bit too much?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I brace myself against the seat back by pushing with my right foot against the wheel well. So far I have not fallen out, although sometimes it feels as if I might. We have seatbelts. Handy for securing something like a camera but would cut a person in half, methinks.
    Speaking of flinging out arms. My mother had a VW Beetle when I was a teen living at home. If I had to take my grandmother anywhere, I had to do the arm fling whenever I stopped with any force, as she paid no attention at all to being in a vehicle and there were, way back then, no seatbelts. Lap belts on some cars, but not the early Beetle. The next generation of Beetles did have them. I bought one as my first new car when my kids were in public school. And if I heard a seatbelt click open, the kid was immediately driven home and left there. Worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can well imagine that it must have been a bumpy ride at times, but what fun to go out exploring even despite the downed tree branches. My husband always wanted to get a John Deere Gator when we lived in VA, but "settled" for a utility tractor instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lovely green John Deere AND a dedicated Kubota snowblower with a heated cab and windshield wipers. JG has the best toys ... the snowblower was new last November and, would you believe it, we had the first green Christmas since my daughters were little girls. JG was very sad and went and looked at his shiny orange machine sitting there all alone.

      Delete