Saturday 23 December 2023

'Twas Two Days Before Christmas ...

 


It is the day before Christmas Eve here in Lanark, and the child is nestled all snug in her bed, being still much plagued with the six-hour time difference between here and Brussels. Papa, capless, is reading in the living room since it is not yet the time for him to, tired, retire. And I am in my office, contemplating chaos. (I should still be writing Christmas Cards. Shh.) There are presents still to wrap and label (I think I remember whose electronics are whose), pies and aspic to construct and the table to beautify into its Christmas dress. The tree is the best it can be and has, courtesy of a sale at our local hardware store, a nice new red skirt to go with its bright red lights and all of the coloured balls I could unearth from the boxes of Christmas Stuff.

 Ah, the Chaos of Christmas. Not outside. There all is serene. There are little (not rein)deer out and about, notably a mother with this year’s fawn in tow. They come and check out the feeding station regularly. And we have small birds back at the feeders, after an hiatus of several months when we had blue jays and mourning doves and not much else besides grackles. I have heard the pileated woodpecker twice, quite close, but have not been able to see it.  There is a bit of new fallen snow, but it is supposed to melt over the weekend and I guess I have to hope for that as the Christmas Bird is presently resident on the screened porch in a styrofoam container and if the temperature stays too far below freezing point, I will have to juggle it inside and outside to maintain refrigerator temperature until Monday.

 It is inside, and not just inside the bird, that is still unorganized. I did what I devoutly hope was the last bit of shopping this morning (and all the Christmas clobber was 50% off; got to love that). Speaking of refrigerators, ours is bulging. And on top of that, a neighbour dropped off our order of maple syrup and maple sugar, quite a large box full. The strong and agile daughter has lugged some of the Christmas storage boxes back down to the cellar to await refilling, but there are still three left beside the stairs. And the tablecloth is sitting on the ironing board. The candles for the table are balanced on a bookcase in here, and the lovely Christmas-themed tea towels that have been other years’ gifts are, although ironed, still in the laundry room.

 Well, I have one more day. At least I am not standing beside my mother’s bed in the ICU trying to finish knitting a Christmas gift sweater, with the wool stuffed into one pocket and the instructions back at home. All my nearest and dearest are near and healthy and, in the main, cheerful. And, accordingly, so am I.

 Some of you, blogging friends, are in new situations this Christmas time. One of you, maybe two in fact, are in the Maritimes and, I think, without electricity. Some of you will be anticipating the day with joy and no Big Dinner. Smart, that. One of you, I read, is bugged. Whatever your day brings, I wish you contentment, peace and at least a moment to count your blessings. As I, in spite of whining about the turkey, am counting mine.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creche! Enjoy your quite chaos... Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The creche came from Namibia when the daughter was posted there. It is gorgeous, for sure.

      Delete
  2. With nearest and dearest nearby…you are ready! Enjoy every minute. They are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound, overall, content. The turkey will be fine. And you have maple sweet to spare LOL. Merry Christmas, dear friend. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maple turkey, anyone? Hug the baby for me. Love!!!

      Delete
  4. The scene as you post it seems pretty delightful in its foofaraw. I don't think you have had to worry too much about the turkey freezing. I trust that you enjoying being around the Christmas tree, possibly as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are. And the new electronic is downloading.just the table and food prep to go. Just! yikes. must vacuum. Happy Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have much yet to do, but sure it all was done in time for the festivities. Can anyone have too much maple syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there is no such thing as too much maple syrup. We used to make it, and I used it for a lot of things; as I still do. Pumpkin and maple, for sure.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! You're a teacher too? That's so cool. I have a LOT of teachers in my blog family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a type, I think. Many of us have a compulsion to write, and another one to read.

      Delete