Wednesday 27 December 2023

Hanging In There

 I am married to a worrier. One of our Christmas gifts was a computerized bird feeder; to charge it, you pull a tiny white plug out of the body and shove in the charge cord. Thinking that I was being super careful, I retrieved an empty pill bottle with no label from the bathroom cabinet and put the tiny plug into it for safekeeping. Just now, the worrier came into my office, looked at the bottle and commented that it was worrisome because the plug could be mistaken for a pill and swallowed. After a headshake and a bit of grumbling, I got a sticky label out of my office shelf, wrote on it “Computer plug. Do not eat!”, and stuck the label onto the bottle. I also wrote “Do not Eat” on the bottle cap. The worrier’s comment was “Much better.” Please note that if you wander around rooms in your house picking up stray pill bottles and eating the contents, the worrier will try to ensure your safety.

My mother was also a worrier. In the last winter of her life, she was still at her concerned best, and one of her concerns was that I should wear a hat in winter weather. I confess that I kept a hat on the front seat of my car and I would pull it on as I took the last corner before their street, thus looking defended from the weather as I pulled into the driveway and walked up the walk to the house. Worrying was hard on her, though. My father had the habit of taking a mile walk whenever the roads were clear enough to allow this. My mother had him timed and, if he did not return when she expected him, she immediately imagined terrible accidents that could have befallen him. She always imagined the worst. My father was fairly patient with this, but only to a point. If he wanted to stop on his walk and chat with a neighbour, he did so, even if it made him ‘late’.

Me, I do not worry. Or, mostly I don’t. If a daughter is off hiking solo in the Namibian desert, I love her competence and have a fair amount of confidence that she will manage to survive. If her plane is late, I figure it is weather or the airline botching things up. I confess to feeling that it was a long day as we waited for news that our labouring daughter had -at last- produced the baby. But since I had spent from a Sunday morning to a Monday afternoon producing her, I was not imagining disaster, just slow progress. Our children were raised ‘free range’, if that expression conveys a fair degree of autonomy and calculated risk. I had very little of either and that is, I think, one of the factors that has shaped my own attitude.

That attitude includes, for example, the thought that if you eat something unknown out of a pill bottle sitting on a desk, you deserve to have to find it later. Providing, of course, that you have survived the experience. But, to prevent misunderstanding, I will finish by saying that I love both the worriers dearly, as well as a daughter who checks her purse for her passport five times between home and the airport. That the worry gene skipped a generation with me is something that does not worry me.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary from a first-time visitor to your blog who appreciated your comment on my own. Thanks for coming over after reading AC's post. I have met many blogger friends from other blogger's posts.

    I have been reading several of your recent posts and really enjoyed them. This one about the worriers in your family really hit home. My husband always tells me that "your worry wart" is showing when I express concerns.

    I will be reading more of our posts as time allows the next few days. We are in NJ visiting family/friends and return to NH on Sat. Wishing you a Happy New Year a bit early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live with someone who is much like that. For example, it is absolutely imperative that I never leave home without my phone. Her words as I am about to leave are always, "Take your phone."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, I'm afraid I'm the worrier in the family. I didn't think so but my daughter has insisted that yes, I'm a worrier. I can't help it, but I'm married to someone who is definitely NOT a worrier. He's always the one who reassures me that I needn't worry which is probably why I married him in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of each is good, even if it does lead to debate on occasion.

      Delete
  4. I find I worry a great deal less as I age. This is a huge comfort to me and everyone else since my worrying has a negative effect on everyone else's good time. It's much better to assume everything is fine or I'd hear about it. (Yet I do check and double-check the passport thing, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone worrying does have a negative effect, at times. The non worrier can be annoyed or surprised. But sometimes saved from a mistake by the worrier's acumen. I confess, though, to circumventing my mother as much as I could. I was a brat - what can I say.

      Delete
  5. I used to be a worrier but it had morphed into generalised anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think overall anxiety is even worse. I watched my teenaged daughter go through an episode of unrelieved anxiety and it was terrifying to be the hapless, and helpless, mother.

      Delete
  6. To answer your question, Mary, we drove home from Ottawa to Muskoka in 2010 when our second granddaughter was born. We deliberately spent a night in the motel near Algonquin Park to get up early and see moose. We had to make a special trip to Algonquin Park for that. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete