Friday 30 March 2007

I know exactly where everything is!



I was just plodding around Blogher at 54.0 Mbps, being amazed at all the stuff on there. I also had a look at their blog categories, which don't exactly impress me. Can anyone tell me why 'life' is a separate category? Sounds a bit like that drawer in the kitchen where you put bits that don't belong anywhere else.

Mine is always full, so maybe I should not stand in the door of my little glass house and throw stones.

When I was an undergraduate five of us shared an off-campus house. Mine was the smallest room of the five and my course work required the largest physical number of books. I usually had books, papers and index cards piled on every available flat surface, including the bed. My housemates used to look in the door and snicker as I dug like a terrier in the debris, looking for something and (very often) muttering about getting organized. For some reason this struck them as funny.

One day a sign appeared on my door saying "I must get organized." It became the housemate's motto and mantra and, to this day, is a tag or an insult in letters and emails. And to this day, I have not achieved it.

I do make sporadic attempts. I was filing photographs this morning and came across this one. I thought I would pop it in here, to celebrate the arrival of spring, robins, redwing blackbirds and mud! This is a shot of my small white lilac bush last February after an ice storm. I'm going to try a series of pics from the same angle as it greens up this year.








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I can't wait to see it in full bloom!

    Ah, yes...I am very organised on a personal level -- I know when my appointments are, I'm good at remembering lists and birthdays -- but I'm bad at organising my STUFF. I actually love doing it in big batches, but lately I don't seem to have the time to even play catch-up.

    It makes me feel better that your "life" drawer is always full. That seems a lovely metaphor for a life well-lived.c

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, thanks Sage. I hadn't really been that clever, but I'll gladly adopt the metaphor.

    ReplyDelete