Friday 24 November 2023

Cake

 I have just finished making a birthday cake, with double icing. The events we are celebrating took place in August and September, and we usually try to have a cake party between the two dates. But the owners of the birthdays bogged off to Portugal for a fine trip, and we are only now getting to the celebration.

I make maple icing, mostly. Unless someone insists on chocolate, maple goes with most flavours of cake. And this recipe is both easy to make and easy to spread. I may have posted it before, but it is worth doing again. Cream six tablespoons of butter at room temperature together with six tablespoons of maple syrup, also ideally at room temp or only slightly below. Add two cups of icing sugar, half a cup at a time, in a mixer, beating well. Icing dust will adorn your jeans, so wear old ones. Spread. Chill. Done.

Chilling

A few years back, the ED gave me for Christmas a fine set of decorating bags and spouts in multiple sizes and configurations. This set replaced one that I bought in our first year of marriage, probably almost exactly sixty years ago. (I confess that I have not tossed out the old set because it is still good for some uses and easier to clean than the bag for a very small amount.) My cakes look pretty good, if I do have to compliment myself.

This is very satisfactory because before I found the maple recipe, I spent what seemed like endless hours struggling with a milk-softened icing recipe that did not spread well and ended up full of crumbs and looking crumby. And Jim’s mother’s cakes always looked wonderful, professional and delicious. One year my mother and I struggled with a cake for the ED during sugaring season at the cabin and ended up with a lopsided, although probably edible, mess. Then Mrs. G senior swanned in, and produced one of her gorgeous cakes. My mother and I very quietly hid our effort in the storage room to eat much later. It tasted fine, but Mrs. G’s cakes did too. Sigh. Since I switched to this beaten maple icing, my cakes, although not to Mrs. G’s standard, are acceptable.

And I have made, over the years, a lot of birthday cakes. Especially for the grandkid, whose nut allergy precluded her from a bought cake. One year when she was very young, she said, wistfully, that she would like a cake with roses similar to the ones she saw in the bakery. And Granma rose (sorry) to the occasion and produced flowers that, with a little imagination could be seen to be roses.

Happiness can involve pink icing roses, even small and inferior ones.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, It's so nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment. You are an amazing cake baker. I can't remember ever frosting a cake... or maybe I just don't want to remember. I do mostly breads and muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband does bread and cookies. And critiques the frosting. Funny the two words for that - is 'icing' more in Canada and 'frosting' in the States?

      Delete
    2. I've heard both words used, but I think we use frosting more here. I think.

      Delete
    3. Fun, the differences in wording and usage, even between parts of the same country. I collect that kind of thing. Why, for instance, do the British say 'bonnet' where we say 'hood' speaking of the cover of an automobile engine. Their 'motor', our 'car'. And we won't get into spelling. I use three different edit functions, depending.

      Delete
  2. The price these days of store-bought cakes is horrid! I've looked at boxed and jars of icing. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most bought icing is pretty greasy. And, again, my allergic grandkid can't eat it unless I thoroughly understand the ingredient list right down to traces of nuts.

      Delete
    2. I just read your info. A fellow LTRR fan. Yes!

      Delete
  3. Cakes are only purchased in our fam nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a nut free bakery in Ottawa that her mother uses, but out here the grandkid needs me to hold off the nuts.

      Delete
  4. Great post! Without nuts…of course! Have a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. Not much of the cake remains. We won't talk about what the scale would tell me.

      Delete
  5. I'm beginning to think you have an affinity toward Maple Things.

    We just bought a bar-shaped carrot cake at the warehouse club bakery (which is phenomenally good) for our future desserts. It's only frosted on top and in between its three layers. Nothing on the sides. It will probably last us a week.

    I can't remember the last time I made a cake. Good for you. I feel quite shamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My YD would adore the cake you describe - carrot cake is her passion. She starts with carrots. I start with a cake mix. So goes the generation gap.
      Regarding the maple. We made maple syrup for many years. And so I always had it on hand. Maple barbeque sauce is amazing, for one.

      Delete