Wednesday 1 November 2023

Ken Follett's Cathedral series

So, if I am going to post every day, some leeway should surely be allowed? This is what I will be presenting tomorrow at Book Club. I have just edited out about 90% of what my poor book club buds will have to look at. But, opinions are eagerly requested on this version!

"Follett surprised his readers with his first non-spy thriller, The Pillars of the Earth (1989), a novel about building a cathedral in a small English village during the Anarchy in the 12th century. The novel was highly successful, received positive reviews and was on The New York Times Best Seller list for eighteen weeks. It topped best-seller lists in Canada, Britain and Italy, and was on the German best-seller list for six years. It has sold 26 million copies so far. (written in 2017, I think.)

Its much-later sequel, World Without End (2007), returns to Kingsbridge 157 years later and features the descendants of the characters in Pillars. The next novel in the series, A Column of Fire, was published in September 2017. Beginning in 1558, the story follows the romance between Ned Willard and Margery Fitzgerald over half a century. It commences at a time when Europe turns against Elizabethan England, and the queen finds herself beset by plots to dethrone her. A fourth novel, The Evening and the Morning (2020), is a prequel to The Pillars of the Earth. Set in the decade around 1000 AD – in the so-called Dark Ages – the story "concerns the gradual creation of the town of Kingsbridge and of the many people – priests, nobles, peasants, the enslaved – who played significant roles". 

A fifth novel, The Armour of Light, was released in September 2023".

The information above is “cut and paste” from Wikipedia. There is a very extensive biography and discussion there; worth looking through.

I read The Pillars of the Earth many years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Well written, it has a marvellous storyline and is a bit of a learning experience about cathedral construction.  When I saw that there was a series stemming from it, and a new book out, I picked it for the club. And ended up rereading Pillars and chugging through the whole series.

Follett writes, in my opinion, stories that you cannot leave, even when it is far past bedtime. His research is really very good, insofar as my knowledge goes, and he writes good, clean prose. Again, in my opinion, the books are uneven. The prequel is almost what I categorize as a potboiler. It does not have the drama of the others, possibly because the characters are mostly not as well drawn. 

The newest book has a weak ending, for me, as he manages to move through the Battle of Waterloo in a very few pages, leaving me thinking he had either quit researching or had decided the book was too long. He has the set up - his characters are gunners. But the battle on the heights is almost ignored. However, the majority of the book is a lot of fun to read and instuctive on the cusp between home spinning and weaving and industrial methods. The medieval centre book is good, but the setting is not as well done as in the first and last, and he tries, almost, to cram in too much again. The Elizabethan one is the best structured, but not as compelling a read. 

I usually read books twice, once for the plot and once for the language and nuance. I will certainly read The Armour of Light again. I got it as an ebook on my Kindle, but am thinking that it is a book I would like to have as a real book. And Christmas is coming, right, YD?


9 comments:

  1. "I usually read books twice." OMG, you teacher you.

    I read Pillars probably when you did. I was not as impressed as you and declined to read the sequel when it came out. I found the original a bit drawn out and tedious. Just build the dang thing, will ya? I had no idea that it had become a series of sorts. You do tempt me a bit. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ac, it is probably the memory thing prompting the second read, as well. And, yes, the books are long and drawn out. Forget the prequel, but the latest one, while I agree too long, is fun.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary! I hopped over to your blog from AC at The AC Is On. I love that you read books twice -- once for the plot and once for language and nuance. I finished Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep last night -- I had never read it -- and the language was delicious although the plot seemed confusing until the very end, and even then, a little bit. But it was fun. Happy latter-part-of-the-week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book recommend - always gratefully received.

      Delete
  3. I read the first two and then abandoned the series, not because I was disappointed or anything, but I wasn't all that interested in the next historical period or following the remaining characters. I still remember the opening line of Pillars of the Earth--it was terrific: The small boys came early to the hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has some good lines, for sure. But, in truth, far too many characters and sub plots. The dawn of the industrial revolution is good stuff, however.

      Delete
  4. I have read several of Follett’s but don’t remember much about them now. I know I wouldn’t want to read any more but I understand why people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of thought of it like Hallowe'en candy, Marie. Addictive.

      Delete
  5. I saw your comment on A/C's blog. We live just outside Perth.
    I've read these. I quite liked them.

    ReplyDelete