Tuesday 21 November 2023

Laundry Day Chez Me.

I will have to find a clothesline photo later.


 Laundry day today. It is now almost bedtime and I still have one load where I need to hang up the contents of the washer. My own fault for, I suppose, being overly obsessive about sorting. I confess, and I think I have done this before, so I will be brief, to being a bit over the top about how I do laundry. Sorting by both colours and water temperature. Hanging to dry. Ironing, including things like the dish towels. I really mourn being unable, any longer, to tote the baskets of wet laundry out of the basement and around the house to the outside clothesline. The linens smelled better that way. The cotton ironed more easily dried that way. I felt like a Good Person saving electricity that way.

Oh well. I can still obsess about recycling, washing out the containers and taking tops off and all that. And composting. And driving my hybrid car, although we ended up buying it almost by accident. It was the colour and configuration we were after, and when the salesperson said it was a hybrid, we just sort of shrugged and agreed. I love it.

I play games with it: how long can I keep you charging up on this downhill; how long can I keep you using electricity rather than gasoline; how many kilometres of each are on the dashboard data display. And all that. Plus, it has a fine, fine backup camera.

The only downside of this vehicular marvel is that it beeps plaintively at me from time to time for reasons that I cannot always sort out. If there is something behind me when the engine is in reverse, it beeps. Good. If I am too close to something at a certain speed, it beeps. Also good. But JG turns on some kind of gismo that is supposed to keep the steering holding the car in the middle of its lane, and if the tracker loses the outside line, beeps and beeps are heard.

Speaking of beeps, the internet went down this afternoon for no reason we could ascertain and just came back up a short while ago.

And that is my explanation for this really terrible post. Why did you not write it even if the internet was down, I hear you wondering. Well, laundry obsessing. And so we are summed up. And I still have two pairs of jeans and six socks to hang up. Inside. There’s a whole lot of sleet out there.

6 comments:

  1. While I can do laundry, Sue would just as soon, I didn't. 😎

    Congrats on the new buggy. Ours, a 2010, is now quite primitive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've actually had the car for a while. Re you doing the laundry - JG would say the same. I get upset when the black shorts and the white tees go into the same load.

      Delete
  2. We just took in the clothesline for this year. Sigh. We like keeping money from the electric utility too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is permanent, but needs a pretty thorough cleaning in the spring because the dratted birds sit on it.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh... someone else who hangs the laundry outside. We've done it for the last 15 years here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a Canadian winter, it is not easy to hang out - the clothes freeze and sort of mostly dry because of water subliming out. They have to be rehung inside to finish drying. I have a clothesline inside and outside.

      Delete