Tuesday 7 November 2023

Coffee!!!

 The Gratitude Challenge. The rules are that you post for five days listing three things each day that make you grateful, then pass the challenge on. A friend and I did this a few years ago and agreed that it is time to run it again. All contributors are more than welcome.

Day 2



I staggered out to the kitchen this morning, turned on my coffee maker, plopped a pod into it and hit the brew button. A short time later, I was slurping down my drink and life was starting to look livable. When I thought about this day’s Gratitude Challenge, the coffee maker was top of mind.

But, hey. Some clever man or woman designed it and others manufactured it. And it runs on electricity, as does the hot water tank that dispenses all the steaming water we need for showers, dishes and the like. As does the thermostat that controls the climate condition inside our house so that at the push of a lever, we can be warmer or cooler. As does the nest of wires supplying power to lights, chargers and, not least, this computer. So, the gratitude spreads out over a lot of designers, inventors and, not least, to the intrepid Hydro One crews that are called in when the supply is interrupted, at whatever hour they are needed, to climb poles, wield chainsaws and do finicky things in February temperatures with ungloved fingers. I try, daily, to be grateful for all I have that is supplied to me by so many dedicated people.

And, not least, I find myself grateful for the wonderful little inventions and adaptations that make it possible to do most things with eighty-one plus fingers, ears and eyes. Glasses and a magnifying lens, hearing aids, wide-handled peelers, all of those. You don’t think about them until you need them, and then they are extremely useful. A cane, walking poles, wide shoes with elastic laces. A magnifying mirror in which I can see my earlobes to insert stud earrings. And a coffee mug with a wide, easily graspable handle.


6 comments:

  1. Even though I am a strictly decaf drinker, I still love the taste of coffee. It's a comforting thing for me now. It always makes me feel warm and cozy, and it has a strength that tea just cannot provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a way of life. I 'go for coffee' even if we are drinking hot choc or tea. Coffee got me through a course in Latin poetry. My mother's family ran on it, I swear. And the odour, wafting through the house in the morning, is homelike in the extreme. Decaff or not.

      Delete
  2. Yay for gratitude. But I had to reread the part about 81 fingers before it clicked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many wonderful devices these days with respect to our aged senses! They bring a measure of normalcy to the gift of life as a senior! I am so grateful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do. Every so often I think about all the old people all over the world who do not have these aids, or even, probably, safety or enough to eat. And I feel very lucky to live where we do and have the 'things' that we have.

    ReplyDelete